Ocean Youth Connexions (OYC) started its journey in September 2000 by a group of local volunteers of the Ocean Estate to address the local issues that was ravaged by poverty, high drugs misuse, organised crimes, vandalism and graffiti, boarded up shops, Anti Social behaviour and low educational attainments. This vicious circle of risky behaviour has enveloped the whole area to making it Britain’s most deprived area (source BBC 2001).
Then Prime Minister Tony Blair sourced £56m funding for regeneration of the area over a 10 year period by bringing about a community led organisation “The New Deals for Communities”. This saw the rise in new organisations springing up to deliver the much needed work to bring people out of poverty and crime and re-engage them towards positive activities to enrich their lives and improve their prospects of life improving opportunities.
Ocean Youth is a youth and community organisation that has stood the time of providing continued support to its clients not only in the Ocean Estates but to the whole of Tower Hamlets. It offers a wide range of diverse activities from generic youth club sessions to half term training programmes for NEET and SEN young people to community fun days. Running from a small office space in the local farm it uses satellite venues to deliver all of its activities.
It also targets those that are socially excluded and disengaged from mainstream services. Its aim is to re-engage these young people into positive activities that will help them through their transition for adolescence to independence.
“Helping tomorrows young people today”
by helping young people reach their full potential and play an active role in their community
“To provide a safe, inclusive caring environment for young people to improve themselves as individuals and bring about a positive change by being listened to and respected”
- To assist young people during their transition from adolescence to independence
- To build positive relationships
- To create opportunities of active participation within the community
- To design creative youthwork programmes around the needs of young people and provide opportunities that enriches young people to make positive choices in life
- To facilitate young people’s learning and development within an informal setting
- To provide opportunities of play in a fun and welcoming environment
Our Core Values
- Active Participation
- Communication & Consultation
- Motivation & Empowerment
- Equality &Inclusion
- Creativity & Innovation